Thursday, December 8, 2011

Got my books!

Books, oh joy...the whole lot of them = $$$

My class received our booklist of the books needed for our fist 2 terms (spring and summer).  There are 21 books on the list that comprise of both "required" and "reccomended" materials. 
I (thankfully) know a current student in my upcoming program.  She is just finishing her didactic year and I decided to turn to her for advice as to which books I will actually open throughout the course of my classwork.  After going through with her and deciding on my own which ones I thought sounded the most important, here are the ones that I bought:
 - Harrisons Principle of Internal Medicine, 18th edition
 - Basic and Clinical Pharmacology, 11th edition
 - Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: History and Examination
 - Documentation for Physician Assistants
 - The Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy
 - Classroom to Clinic Study System
 - Clinically Oriented Anatomy
 - Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, 6th edition
(and I have heard abut how great this little book is to I bought it)
 - Maxwell Quick Medical Reference
I was very plesantly surprised when I saw that the total of these books plus shipping was just under $500!  Gotta love amazon over buying from the school bookstore.

My class also received our first assignments which must be completed before we start classes on the 1/6.  The first is to get a book called Medical Terminology Basics and study it.  We received a study guide as to some key sections to focus on and there will be a test given during the first week of classes on this information.  I am not necessarily worried about this exam, just due to the fact that I have learned a lot of this information prior to this while I was in radiography school; but, I will definitely be kept busy with this until classes start. 
The other assignment was to read a book called
"The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures".  The book was assigned to us to prepare us for two classes:service learning and health care issues I.  I am only 5% done with the book (according to my kindle) but I am already enthralled by the story.  If you get the chance, I highly reccomend picking up this book.
Now I just can't wait to get all of my school books in and feel completely ready to start!
29 days away from orientation!

3 comments:

  1. Harrison's is a good reference when you need a lot of information on disease process, pathology, etc. I recommend CURRENT Medical Diagnosis 2010 or 2011 too. It is still a huge book, but I use it way more than Harrison's because it is more to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this book advice Bianca! I just looked it up on Amazon and plan on buying the 2011 edition within the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am starting the same program in January and I just found this awesome post! Did you end up using all the books you bought? Were there any that you didn't use or others that you ended up buying and found useful? Thanks for writing! It is so great to hear from someone going through the same program.

    ReplyDelete