Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Clinical Medicine

   Once you are in PA school, this is the name of the class that will begin to take over your life.  As my professors call it, it is the "meat and potatoes" of PA school.
   Today we had 6 hours of clinical medicine.  This is our typical Wednesday, 4 hours of clin med in the morning, a one hour lunch break, and 2 hours of clin med in the afternoon (followed by another 2 hours class).  So Wednesday is one of our longest days on campus. The first hour of class each week is our pathology class time taught by the medical examiner of our program.  Today it was on inflammation.  It was rather "dry" as our professor told us (no pun intended), but was very fast paced and our first real taste as to what this year would be like.  Then we had lab medicine and immunology for the last 5 hours of the day. This was the most exciting topic I have covered in the past 3 days! Our professor is actually a practicing PA who graduated from my program in their first class.  She has been practicing for over 12 years.  She is teaching this module because she was a med lab tech before becoming a PA.  We learned normal lab values, different tests to order for diagnosis of diseases, different panels, and then the immunology portion of the body.  I can tell I am going to like this class :)
     Tomorrow was supposed to be our white coat ceremony but unfortunately it got postponed until Tuesday due to weather conditions.  So tomorrow we have no classes which is good because I have notes that I need to type up.  So, busy busy I will be tonight and tomorrow! Wish me luck!  My first quiz is on Wednesday on everything we learned in clin med today so I better get on those notes!
xoxo

Oh! I almost forgot, I got a 91 on my first exam in PA school (our self taught medical terminology exam we had on the first day)!  I will take it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment